STRATAS: How to Manage the Dramatic Increases in Insurance Rates

Over the past few months across British Columbia, there has been an industry struggle to renew strata-corporation insurance policies.  With renewals, the cost of insurance has increased anywhere between 50 to 300%.  

Insurance Deductibles have also increased substantially from $25,000 per claim to as much as $250,000 and $500,000 per claim. 

A strata includes ½ duplexes, multifamily low-rise wood-frame apartment buildings, townhouses or high-rise buildings.  

When a water failure or fire occurs in a multi-unit building, multiple units are often affected.  The result is an increase risk for damages and losses by the insurance industry.  

The Strata Property Act states that a strata corporation must insure for full replacement value of all common property, common assets and fixtures.  What this means is that the original construction in a duplex, townhouse, low- or high-rise apartment building is covered under the strata corporation insurance policy. 

Why are the rates increasing dramatically?  

In addition to world-wide catastrophes, we live in a high-risk earthquake zone, and with several major building claims in the province, there are less insurance companies who are covering strata insurance in B.C.

The hardest hit areas are in high-density Metro areas.  Resort properties and communities with developments of more than 250 units are also feeling the crunch. 

With a limited number of insurers, increase in claims, higher property and construction values and a high demand for insurance, a supply/demand imbalance has been created.  Insurers are imposing higher costs in order to minimize their risks. 

How does this affect the Strata owners in B.C.?  

If your strata are faced with a substantial increase in insurance rates, this will be reflected in your annual operating budget.  

For example, if your insurance deductible increases to $100,000, this means that any claims under $100,000 are not covered by your insurance.  And, subject to your bylaws, each owner is likely responsible for damages to their strata lot and the strata corporation is responsible for repairs to common property. 

The result is that many of past insurance costs will be passed onto the affected owners in the event of a claim.  An example would be if an owner of a strata lot has a hose in their washing machine that fails, flooding out the building, the owner could be responsible for the $100,000 deductible.   

I recommend that each homeowner of a strata lot in a strata corporation, consider condo-owner insurance to cover their liability in the event of a claim for damages to their units, the cost of a deductible or the risk of being sued by other owners if they cause a claim.  

If there is a claim for water damage caused by a failed pipe that is part of the Common Property, and, if the claim is more than $100,000, the $100,000 deductible becomes an expense of the Strata Corporation.  The Strata can pay it from the contingency fund or by a special levy to owners without the need for a ¾ vote resolution at a general meeting. 

How can your strata limit the risk?

Firstly, work closely with your insurance broker.  If your strata are faced with a change in insurance or the possibility of no coverage, you must immediately give notice to all owners.  If your strata are unable to obtain insurance, the strata must contact a lawyer to determine the liabilities for owners and council members and what the next steps you should consider.  

As a strata, maintain your buildings.  With all the owners to minimize risks.  Make sure that all individual strata lots with in suite laundry, upgrade the washing machine hoses to braided steel.  Failed rubber hoses in cramped closets and spaces are a chronic cause of water damage. 

Also, address other risks that could result in a claim.  Activities such as smoking as well as barbecues on balconies, heat lamps and in-suite hot water tanks should be addressed.  Repair access or building issues that could raise risks or injury.  Also, update your bylaws!  Bylaws that could result in human-rights complaints or court actions can also increase your risk. 

For prospective Buyers, I would recommend that before you purchase a strata lot, obtain a copy of the strata insurance and confirm the cost, deductibles for water escape and the renewal dates.  Over the coming year, increases will likely continue. 

No comments

Post Your Comment:

* indicates required fields.
Your Name: *
Please note, your email will not be shown publicly
Your Email (will not be published): *
Comment: *
Please type the text as it appears above:

What is the Home Renovation Tax Credit (HRTC) & How Can I take Advantage of It?

March 13th, 2009

The Home Renovation Tax Credit (HRTC)

·         Implemented in the 2009 Federal Government Budget

·         Is a non-refundable tax credit for work performed or goods acquired in respect to an Eligible dwelling?

·         An Eligible Dwelling is one’s principal residence, a cottage or summer home occupied personally.

·         A property you own that family members reside in during the time period from January 27th, 2009 to February 1st, 2010. 

·         Eligibility is family based.  A family is an individual and his/her spouse/common law partner including children less than 18 years of age by the end of 2009.

·         If 2 or more families own and occupy the same residence, then both families will be eligible for their own separate tax credit.

·         Eligible expenses must fall between $1,000 and $10,000.  The maximum tax credit is $1,350 (15% of $9,000).

·         The Tax Credit is ONLY for the 2009 Taxation year. 


What Qualifies as an Eligible Expense?


·         Expenses incurred with respect to a renovation must be of an enduring nature and integral to the home.

·         This includes cost of labor, professional services, building materials, fixtures, rentals and permits.

·         You MUST have documentation to prove this.  Agreements, Contracts, Invoices, or Receipts.

·         The type and quantity of goods purchased or services received must be listed.

·         The Contractor’s name, business address, gst/hst registration number as well as the address where the work was performed must be on the Documentation. 

·         Proof of Payment must be noted as well.


Eligible Expenses:


·         Renovations to a Kitchen, Bathroom or Basement.  *(appliances are not eligible nor is renovations to a tenanted basement suite in your principal residence)*

·         New Carpets or Hardwood Flooring.

·         Building of an addition, garage, deck, shed or fence.

·         Painting of the exterior and interior of your homeRe-shingling of a roof.

·         A new furnace, woodstove, boiler or water heater.

·         A new driveway or the re-surfacing of an existing one. 

·         Laying of new sod.

·         Swimming pools both in ground and above.

·         Costs of permits, equipment rentals and incidental expenses related to the renovation.

·         *If you own a condo and a special levy is approved for the upgrading of a Common Area and a special assessment is passed for this levy, you would be eligible for a tax credit based on your unit entitlement.*  Please check with your Strata Management Company, Accountant and Lawyer for specifics. 

·         Expenses are not eligible if the work performed or the goods acquired are provided by a person not dealing at arm’s length. For example, if your brother-in-law helps you re-shingle your roof and is not registered with gst/hst and you pay him in cash or cheque, then you can’t claim the expenses.

·         Renovations that qualify for the Medical Expense Tax Credit (METC) is an eligible expense and one can claim both the (HRTC) & (METC).

·         Eligible expenses will not be reduced by other qualifying Government grants or Tax Credits.


Please note that the above information is just a guideline and for complete details or information, please contact the CRA Canada Revenue Agency, or speak to your Accountant prior to renovating. 


If you or anyone you know are thinking about Selling and wish to renovate prior to doing so, please call me for a no obligation consultation of which renovations will increase the property’s value more than others. Also, should you hear of anyone thinking of buying or selling real estate, please keep me in mind as I am never too busy for any of your referrals!






Robert Britch


Tel:  604-240-5813

Quality Service since 1993!




Not intended to Solicit Properties Already Listed for Sale.


The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.