Important Update for Tenant Occupied Properties

Important Update for Tenant Occupied Properties

Key Changes Effective July 18th, 2024

     1.  Mandatory Use of Landlord Use of New Web Portal: 

  • Landlords must use this portal to generate Notices to End Tenancy for personal or caretaker use.

  • Landlords using the website portal will be required to have a Basic BCeID to access the site.

  • The portal will require landlords to provide details about the persons moving into the home. The details of the new occupant of the home will be shared with the tenant.

  • While using the website portal, landlords will be given information about the required conditions for ending a tenancy and the penalties associated with ending the tenancy in bad faith.

  • They will also be informed about the amount of compensation they will be required to issue to tenants when ending a tenancy.

     2.  Extended Notice Period:

  • The Two-Month Notice is changing to a Four-Month Notice on July 18, 2024.

  • Tenants will have 30 days to dispute Notices to End Tenancy, extended from 15 days.

     3.  Occupancy Requirements:

  • The individual moving into the property must occupy it for at least 12 months.

  • Landlords found to be ending a tenancy in bad faith could be ordered to pay the displaced tenant 12 months’ rent.

It's crucial to be aware of the latest regulations, including Bill 14 Tenancy Statutes Amendment Act, 2024.



No comments

Post Your Comment:

Your email will not be published
Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Greater Vancouver REALTORS® (GVR), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB.